Monday, May 21, 2007

Thumbnails: Julie Bell

Thumbnails: 30 Second Interviews

I doubt anyone reading this does not already know about Julie Bell’s mastery in figure painting. (Although I equally love her loose and suggestive backgrounds.) What you may not know is how much she is a delight to work with. She brings such a high level of excitement and professionalism to each and every project that I never worry when I have a cover in her hands. There are many books and calendars on Julie's work, the most recent of which is Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell: The Ultimate Collection.

Favorite painting you did in the past year?

The movie poster for the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie that I did in tandem with Boris. Also the cover for Firebird that I just did for Tor. And one of my wolf paintings. And a couple of others.


Do you remember the first time you knew you wanted to be an artist?

When I was in fifth grade, I got a huge lecture from my teacher because I didn't have a goal in life. So, since I really loved to draw and make comic books and "tattoos" for my friends, I said I would be an artist.

What painting do you wish you painted?

Anything by Waterhouse or Dulac.


A career highlight?

When I get together with Boris and my kids and our friends and we all paint together, I get so happy I almost can't stand it! [See Retreat.]


What are you working on now?

I've decided to do some wildlife art that makes use of my fantasy-style backgrounds with realistic animals. It's so much fun! It all started when I did some covers for Tor that featured wolves and, needing reference material, I went to shoot pictures at a wolf sanctuary. I completely fell in love with the wolves!

Your biggest influences?
Boris and my sons, Anthony and David Palumbo.


Did you attend a formal art school?

I went to a bunch of different colleges and universities, always majoring in art, because I was always moving to different locations in the country. Some of my best art teachers were from community colleges! I believe a formal art school is ideal and it's got to be a blast to be in that environment, but it's not necessarily the only way to go. It all depends on how much you put yourself into it. Also I should mention that a great deal of what I learned to bring myself up to the professional level was done many years after I was out of school.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is really master. And I feel his technics more different now. I think she is working much details with thin brushes too.

I saw the difference when I went to bookstores and see her new cover images at the book jackets. I really enjoyed to see her art at the covers. Even I am just watching her new cover arts at the barnes&nobles really for long long hours.

I am very jealous on her new technic and achievements. She is able to solve light and shadow balance and color harmony even with high details. Every professional artist is able to solve that matters, but just a few is able to solve that with high and realistic details. I think this makes Julie master.

And most important think is Julie really creates original works with traditional artist materials, not with technologic adult toys...

Thank you very much for these thumbnails, I really loved them.
But these are so small. I am really trying to find a place like exhibition center or anything else. How can we see her original arts?

Carl V. Anderson said...

Wow, these are some really great examples of her work. I don't think I've seen any of these before.

Great interview!

Irene Gallo said...

Uri - You are always very insightful. Thanks for commenting!

Hi Carl - The figure ones were all Tor covers. The wolves are personal pieces that Julie has been doing lately. Great stuff, all around. I got to watch her paint at the Society once. Most paintings go through an ugly stage...not Julies. It was beautiful all the way through.

Carl V. Anderson said...

Thanks...and let me say again, wow!